Monday, September 5, 2011

Yoga Balance to Design Balance!

Happy Labor Day blog readers!  I hope you all had a pleasant holiday!

Yesterday, I went to my yoga class, nothing new about that, but guess what?  I was able to do Crow, basic Crow, and hold my position for about 5 seconds.  Ooooh, wow, 5 seconds -- whoop de doo, big deal, you say?  Are you familiar with Crow?  Look at the pic below, now count 5 seconds...1 mississippi, 2 mississippi, etc. etc.

Yes, it was a big deal!  I have actually fallen forward smashing my nose into the floor in the past, which was not a pleasant experience.  Anything to do with balance, physically, is always a big deal for me.  In yoga, I have adequate strength, flexibility, and endurance, but balance, no way.  I dread it when it is time for the standing poses.  No matter how often I go, how strong my drishti (staring at a focal point) is, or how tight my core or legs are, I can not balance on one foot.

The other day I started thinking -- "maybe creating balance visually and instinctually, as in my design environments, is so very important to me because I struggle with balance physically".  It made a lot of sense to me.  Actually it's kind of a balancing of balance, if you think about it.  I create balance externally and intuitively because I am inadequate with balance physically.  By doing this, I feel more balanced in my life as a whole.

What do you think?  Do you have a part of your being that lacks whether it be internal or external, and so you find yourself making up the loss or striving for balance by exceeding in the opposite area?  While you're thinking about that, take a look at these gorgeous rooms that I think have great balance!!





Have a fabulous week!!  Susan
MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

2 comments:

Biodanza said...

Exercise should be an integral part of everyone's daily life. Not only does it help to keep you in shape in the present but it can also aid in staving off some of the effects of aging in the future. So what if you're advanced in your years already? Does that mean that there's no hope for you? Don't be silly. It's especially important that elderly individuals work out their muscles because they are at a greater risk of atrophy and injury.

Unknown said...

Thank you for your input. Have a great day! Best, Susan